Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Ever since I moved away from home, all the Thanksgiving dinners have had the ever-popular "candied yams" with marshmallow topping. As delicious as that is, I have always had a nostalgia for my mom's Sweet Potato Casserole with pecan streusel topping. Something about the cinnamon seasoning and crunch of the pecans so perfectly fits the Thanksgiving season. So, if you are looking to change up your Thanksgiving side dish (without causing a riot!) here is my favorite recipe for my favorite side dish! Happy Thanksgiving!
• 4 cups sweet potato, cubed
• 1/2 cup of white sugar
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1/2 teaspoon of salt
• 4 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Bake the sweet potatoes first until tender; drain and mash.
2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
3. In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.